Main content
 
 

New law to keep mass murderer imprisoned

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 » 07:55am


 
 
 
 

Hoddle Street mass murderer Julian Knight could be kept in jail until the day he dies under a new law created especially for him.

The legislation, which will be introduced in the Victorian parliament on Tuesday, will severely restrict the circumstances in which the Adult Parole Board can grant Knight parole.

Premier Denis Napthine says the law, which will apply solely to Knight, will mean he can only be released if he is in imminent danger of dying or is seriously incapacitated and as a result is no longer a risk to the public.

'This is a specific case that warrants strong, specific attention,' Dr Napthine told Fairfax Radio on Tuesday.

'We want to make sure our worst mass murderer in Victoria, who has shown no remorse ... should simply be told he's to remain in jail.'

Knight, who killed seven people and injured 19 during a shooting rampage in 1987, was sentenced to life in prison with a 27-year non-parole period.

He is eligible for parole in May.

Dr Napthine said he trusts the parole board would have done the right thing, but he still wanted to send a clear message.

Knight has been declared a vexatious litigant after many court appearances relating to his parole and other matters.

Just last month the 45-year-old was alleged to have been involved in a prison assault that left another inmate in hospital with a broken jaw.